Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why do you lie, liar?

From the jacket because I've yet to master the art of brief descriptions: "Micah will freely admit she’s a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she’ll ever tell you. Over the years she’s fooled everyone: her classmates, her teachers, even her parents. And she’s always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as easily as breathing?

Taking listeners deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them — and herself — that she’s finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have listeners seesawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly."


I should develop a personalized rating system, for now we'll just go with what I put on Goodreads.com, which was a 4 out of 5 star rating.

My first thought as soon as I finished the book (as soon as I finished several parts of the book, actually) was "What?"

Just that, just "what?" Because I have no idea what to say about this book. It was good, I'll say that, it kept me reading even when I just wanted to pass out on my bed or when I was hungry and needed to put the book down to get something to eat. Not many books do that, in my opinion, although it still didn't reach the point where I was so stuck on the book I wish it was waterproof so I could read it while I showered, but it got close.

Actually, I lied (see what I did there?) another word that kept coming to mind throughout the book was, "Liar!" Which makes me wonder about the exact way the author decided to title the book. Was it just a natural choice considering the topic, or did she read it through and find that it was the first word that came to her mind whenever Micah made any kind of statement? Regardless of which way she chose the title, I enjoyed that I kept saying that word in my head, because it was obvious to me that I was personally offended by Micah's lies, which in turn shows she's a well-written character since I kept wanting to yell at her to stop offending me with her heinous ways.

My only complaint might be that I felt that the ending was done a little too quickly. I wish certain details had been a little more fleshed out, but I can't tell if that's because the author did a bad job in the end or because she was intentionally trying to mess with the reader. My point would probably make a lot more sense if you read the book, since I'm trying not to be spoilerific here. I think this book is best read when you know others are reading it with you or nearly around the same time as you, because it's a book that makes you want to discuss it with other people. I personally can't wait for my next book club meeting because this is the first time I'm having trouble forming solid opinions on the events that transpired within a fictional book. For now it all comes down to those two words in my head, "What?" and "Liar!"

1 comment: